Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Lost?

My friend Susan just posted this to her Facebook page:
"Almost cried with a lost toddler in the middle of Target.  I've never really seen such real fear in a little persons eyes as was in that little girl looking for her mommy.  FYI: the mom was found but had no idea the child was lost.  Umm you have to pay attention especially with toddlers!  Just sayin!"

Really???  Thank goodness for Susan and anyone else that was there to help.  Susan said the little girl described her mother perfectly... seems like she was paying more attention than the mom.  I get freaked out if I lose sight of Madeley at the family Christmas party, much less Target!!!  I was behind her every step of the way at The Wonder Place.  I may be an overprotective mother, but I would rather be that than a nonchalant one.  I feel bad for the mom, and I'm sure she was pretty upset with herself.  Sometimes parents need a wake-up call to remind us of what is most important.

Now... slight change of subject.  I used to intentionally get lost in our tiny Walmart when I was a child.  Then I would scurry to customer service and have them page my mother.  "Attention Carol Balwanz... Your daughter is lost and has come to the front desk.  Attention Carol Balwanz... Please come to the front desk."  When she would arrive, it would be all she could do not to whip me in front of the entire store.  But that didn't stop me from doing it again.  And I distinctly remember a few times when she had to page me as well.  She would get to the front of the store, ready to check out, and I would be no where to be found.  "Attention Morgan Balwanz.  Please meet your mother at the front of the store."  I am laughing, but that story sounds a lot like the one I started with.  I can assure you though, I was at least six years old and it was different back then.  Small town, small store.  But my mom still wanted to beat me, just the same.  And when I say beat, I just mean a regular old spanking!

Thanks for reading!!

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I remember when Laura got away from me in a store when she was small. It was enough to scare me and, thankfully, only happened once! Children are quick!

Love you.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011