Thursday, February 10, 2011

Animal encounters

Per Jessica's request:

As children, we had some strange pets. As you read, you must remember that we've always lived within the city limits. We've never lived on a farm...

Pets and animal friends:

1. Charlie- the parrot



(he's in the background of this strange photo)

Charlie was a great pet. Dad loved him, Jessica loved him, I remember him, not so sure how Mom felt about him. When he died, Jessica fell apart. We buried him in the backyard and put a fancy painted rock on his grave. RIP Charlie.

2. 2 Goats



(not the actual goats)

Our goats stayed in the backyard in a chain-link fence. One day, both goats disappeared. Dad said one of them was bitten by a snake, and the other one was struck by lightening... in the same day. Really? Sounds strange.

3. 2 extremely hyper spitz dogs




One day, both of them disappeared as well. Mom had given them away because they jumped on me all the time, knocking me down. Doesn't look like I cared too much! Anyway, the funny thing about these dogs was that Jessica and I had professional (Olan Mills) pictures taken with them. Is that weird?

4. Pet armadillo



Mom brought this awesome pet home one day. Who knows what she was thinking. At first, she didn't know what to do with it, so she put it in the bathtub. She bought a collar and leash so I could walk it down the street. Eventually, the armadillo dug it's way out of the chain-link fence. Not quite sure why.

5. Baby deer




Not ours. Just an animal encounter. Sweet, huh?

6. Tarzan the chimpanzee



(not an actual picture of Tarzan)

Tarzan bit me.



I was at a friend's house, his owner, trying to blow-dry his hair. He wanted out of the bathroom, and I didn't let him go. He just pulled my hand to his mouth and bit the crap out of me! I've recovered well.

7. Freemont



He was such an adorable dog. The problem was that somewhere along the way, he went crazy mean.



Not sure why... He bit me several times. The only person he wanted anything to do with was Dad. We kept him his entire life though. As he got older, he decided he loved me.

8. Penguins and such



(please ignore how utterly terrible this picture is!!)

I went to Sea World Camp when I was 15. Loved it! I got to interact with penguins, sea lions, dolphins, beluga whales, and killer whales. I enjoyed every minute of it!! I hope Madeley gets the same opportunity!

9. Animal



Animal was a baby mallard that I adopted when he hatched out of his shell. His mother left him at the nest, so I took over. He stayed in a box with a stuffed dog, named Dog.



He thought I was his mother. I would toss him into the pond and run back to the house. The entire way back, I could hear the pitter patter of his little feet following me. I raised him until he was ready to join the other ducks.

10. Joe



Joe is the best pet. He's fun-loving and adorable. He thinks I'm his mother as well. He would be happiest in my arms every second of the day. Joe's job is to take care of Dad though. He keeps him company and keeps him busy.



He's also wonderful with Madeley. She chases him around, and he doesn't mind.

There are so many animals I didn't even mention...
Betsy- cat that had about 6 litters, and those cats had 6 litters
Putter- parakeet that died on Jan 1, 2000- not Y2K compliant
Ellie- my blue heeler that lived in the house
Cramie Cramer- goldfish that recently died
Gerbils- mom tried to catch a loose one and cut it's tail off

The list could go on...

..................

Lazy snow day again!






I try not to be jealous and covet the items of others, but I have one exception. I received this picture from a friend last night. The picture was taken in Lonoke. One word describes it... jealous!





See you tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

Dianne said...

You and Jessica certainly had some interesting pets over the years...some I remember having heard about and some not!

Love you.

Morgan said...

Thanks for reading Aunt Dianne. I am happy you are able to keep up! I love you!

Dianne said...

I love you, too, Morgan, and I am really enjoying your blog.

The Murphy's said...

Love reading your blogs! I haven't updated mine in months! You are very talented, are you sure you are not destined to be an English teacher?

Meggan Murphy

Taylor Byers said...

heeey I'm in that Freemont picture! Good choice :)

Betty said...

I knew Freemont (loved him!) and I know Joe (love him even more). The rest I didn't get a chance to know, thankfully in some cases, I think (like the armadillo). This is a really fun post; I think the pictures from 'way back when' are just too cute!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011