Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Virtues

I am introducing a blog topic tonight, and I will finish it up tomorrow.

Some of you may know, life in the Balwanz family is hectic right now. No explanation necessary, it's just hard. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. It's nearly impossible to find time to blog, but it makes me happy, so I do it anyway.

Tonight I would like to discuss Benjamin Franklin's thirteen virtues. My friend, Holly, used them in her English class, and I got interested. I haven't thought as much about them as I'd like to, hence the second day. I will be considering each one over the next 24 hours. I will try to determine which ones I posses (if any) and which ones need a little work. I hope you will do the same. Let's use this opportunity to do a little self-evaluation.

Here are the virtues:

1. TEMPERANCE
Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.

2. SILENCE
Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.

3. ORDER
Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.

4. RESOLUTION
Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.

5. FRUGALITY
Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.

6. INDUSTRY
Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.

7. SINCERITY
Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.

8. JUSTICE
Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.

9. MODERATION
Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.

10. CLEANLINESS
Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.

11.TRANQUILLITY
Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.

12. CHASTITY
Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dulness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.

13. HUMILITY
Imitate Jesus and Socrates.


Now, I realize the explanations are a little out there... heck, Ben Franklin wrote them! What do you expect? Tomorrow we will discuss how we can apply these to our lives today, in 2011. Hope you'll come back!

.........................

I couldn't let you go without telling you about the amazing fruit salad I made tonight. So easy, and Derrick loved it!!

Mix sliced strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries with a little bit of sugar. Stir in sliced banana and top with whipped cream. Yummy!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Betty said...

Ben also said, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness"; however, with four little house pups, sometimes I think "Cleanliness is next to impossible!" What do you think?

Dianne said...

Such an interesting topic, Morgan. I will have to do some serious thinking and will be interested in what you have to say.

You and all of your family are in our thoughts and prayers. We will keep praying and caring.

Loved the video and pictures of Madeley yesterday and the fruit salad looks delicious.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

I have never heard these virtues, but love them. I think they pretty much cover everything. Unfortunately I think I have plenty of room to work on most every single one! Look forward to your analysis!
Kristin Freeman Wood

Stephanie said...

I love this post Morgan! I had never heard of Frannklin's virtue's until today. Thanks for sharing them and giving me something to think about.

Praying for you all. Please let me know if I can do anything.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011