Friday, February 4, 2011

Wearing RED reveals what's in your HEART!

February is the month of romance, love, and red hearts. But Valentine's Day is not the only Red Heart event going on this month. Today is National Wear Red Day. The purpose of this day is to create an awareness of heart disease in women. Here are a few simple facts:

•90% of women have 1 or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
•More than 82 million are estimated to have one or more types of cardiovascular disease. That's 1 in 3.
•On average, 2,200 American's die of cardiovascular disease each day, an average of 1 death every 39 seconds.
•Heart disease is the #1 cause of death among women 20 and older, killing about 1 woman every minute.
•More women die of heart disease than the next 4 causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.

Now I'm not here to downplay pink, I just want you to be more aware of red! There are several ways to lower your risk of heart disease.

•Eat well
•Be active
•Watch your weight
•Visit your doctor

One of the most important things you can do is know your family history. Jessica and I have heart disease on both our mother and father's side. Dad has had a quadruple bypass and mom died after heart surgery. We have tried to look out for ourselves. Jessica takes medicine for tachycardia, and I take medicine for high blood pressure and cholesterol. Hopefully this is just a start to preventing future problems. We have beautiful girls to live for!





See the cute little heart on her shirt.








Caroline's a doll...


And so grown up!


Jessica in red!



Me in red (a long time ago... you don't want to see me today!)



... and Mom

If you want more information on heart disease, go to:

www.heart.org
www.goredforwomen.org

Sorry for the somberness of the blog, but it's important to me and Jessica.

Love you for reading!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Catherine Anne said...

I too have Tachycardia. My Aunt has this as well. She is the only other person in moms side of the family that has this. I dont know much about my Dads side. Although I wonder. Love all the Red along with the beautiful photograph of your momma.

Betty said...

Love all the pictures you posted...everyone is so pretty! I'm so glad you and Jessica are taking care of yourselves...you are so very important to me! Love Madeley's little outfit.

Sooz said...

I wore my red Friday and my red dress pin. We to have inherited heart disease from my daddy's side of the family.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011