Sunday, February 27, 2011

Etsy pleasures

Don't you just love receiving mail? I know I do, and I love it even more when it's wrapped in a little brown box!






I joined Etsy in November of last year. Just in time to do a lot of my Christmas shopping there. As I was shopping, I continuously stumbled upon items I wanted for myself. Don't you just hate it that you find tons of stuff for yourself, when you're supposed to be shopping for other people? Anyway, I've never been a jewelry person. I wear my wedding rings, a small pair of diamond earrings, and the occasional pair of hoops. But that's it! My wardrobe is a bit boring as well... solid colored shirts and cardigans. If I get a wild hair, I may throw in some stripes. Needless to say, I had decided (as I was shopping for others at Christmastime) that I was ready for a little touch in the jewelry department. I found a sweet little necklace that I thought would work for me. Gold and silver tones, so I could wear it with just about anything.




This is called the balance necklace, and I adore it. I bought it from my favorite etsy shop, greenteajewels. The owner, Jill Schilling, is located in Hawaii. I love it that all her correspondence consists of Alohas and Mahalos. She pays great attention to detail, and all the jewelry is handmade. The necklace came in the small brown box, tied with raffia. Inside, the necklace is attached to a card that is wrapped in tissue paper. All topped off with a small sticker that said Morgan. It made me smile. Jill always includes a short note extending her gratitude for the purchase. I mean, how often do you get to talk to the person that makes your jewelry? Not that often! On top of that, I think Jill went to some special school where they teach you how to be an amazing businesswoman!

Want to know the best part? The necklace was only $20. Wow, I said. It wasn't long until I was itching for more. I started looking and found two more items to spruce up my look.

The Indian Blue, $19




Simple and elegant.

The Bronzeline, $21





I received these two necklaces yesterday, and I couldn't have been happier with my purchases. Of course Jill sent a thoughtful note and a little something special for me. She sure does know how to keep people coming back. Now I feel like I am prepared for any outfit, and my jewelry collection has begun!







If you would like to visit greenteajewels, follow the link!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/greenteajewels

(all pictures were copied from site, except for the last one :)

...............................

Okay, so let's talk about The King's Speech. First of all, Derrick was quite unsure about the movie. I guess he hadn't heard much about it, but I assured him I had only heard rave reviews. And I just know it will win lots of Oscars, so I wanted to see it before they air. I also told him that if he didn't like it, I would cook him biscuits and gravy this morning (such a chore for me... I don't like grease).

So we get into the theatre, and there are only two other couples. Without a doubt, they were all over 65. Not that 65 is a bad thing, it just wasn't helping my "great movie" case. As more people filed in, the trend continued. We were FOR SURE the youngest people there... by years! You would have thought they were only allowing 50 and up, and we somehow snuck in! Anyway, as the movie began, it was obviously a British made film. I knew that. The colors were dark and the scenes were slow. As soon as the Duke spoke, I immediately felt sorry for him. Colin Firth did a wonderful job with this character. His anxiety over his stammer was evident all over his face. When he met the therapist, Lionel Logue, the movie really picked up. I don't want to give anything away, but Lionel is exceptional, and you can't help but root for Bertie (the Duke/King) in the end. I was sitting on the edge of my seat! I loved that Derrick was with me, because he was able to give me all the history behind the movie and tie everything together. And to think that Queen Elizabeth is Bertie's daughter, that just made it all real to me. Now to be polite, I should be calling him King George VI... but I like Bertie, as does Lionel. See the movie, you won't regret it!

.........................

I am going to include yesterday's video again. I think there may have been problems viewing it. This video contains Madeley attempting to eat a water hose sprayer. I had originally recorded her because she thought it was a telephone, but she ends up relentlessly eating the thing!



Tomorrow, I will continue with the "old" videos. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Betty said...

I also love Etsy! Some people are so talented and this is such a great way to showcase their talent (and make a little money, besides, eh?).

Thanks for saying that 65 is not a bad thing...gonna be there really soon, haha.

Why can't she put the hose thingy in her mouth? It looked pretty clean to me.

Love the video!

Boonies in the Boonies said...

LOVE this blog. I love that even if I don't get to talk to you that day I can read your blog and it reads just like you are saying it to me. Love it.
And I'm going to order that Balance necklace, I'll come up with a reason to justify it.

Love the blog, love you.
R

Dianne said...

The jewelry is amazing, the video of Madeley is precious, and The King's Speech is one of the best movies I have ever seen. (I am in the over 65 group.) Colin Firth just won the Academy Award for Best Actor--well deserved!

Love you.

Dianne said...

The King's Speech just won the Best Picture award, and I am delighted!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011