Friday, February 25, 2011

A little slice of heaven

There's a little slice of heaven right down the road from Jessica's house. Boulevard Bread Company. Yum. Jessica and Brian have been going there for years. I've sampled their baked goods several times... monkey bread and coconut cake, but I've never been there to eat. At least not until last weekend.

Jessica and I were taking a break from the hospital, and I thought I was going to starve. I was eating "cuties" before we even got out of Target. She suggested that we run by Boulevard, and I could get a turkey sandwich (she secretly wanted some coconut cake). When we got there around 4, the waiter informed me that they stop serving sandwiches at 3:30, but... they had just finished making some pasta. He said he would be happy to serve me that.
Well sir, I'd be happy to eat it. Thank you.
First came some freshly baked bread with divine dipping oil. I ate that like nothing else was coming. Then came a delectable bowl of amazingness. Penne pasta tossed in a light cream sauce with pancetta, artichoke hearts, fresh tomato, and fresh basil. Goodness. I enjoyed every bite.

Ever since then, I couldn't wait to go back. When I left the hospital tonight, I was so ready for something good. I stopped in at Boulevard to grab some dinner. The special was fish tacos. I've never eaten fish tacos, and never had a desire to either... until tonight. If it comes from Boulevard, it must be wonderful. So I took a chance. I had planned on getting my food to go, but as I was standing in this quaint little shop, I decided to stay.
I said to the cashier, "I think I'm just going to stay and eat."
She says, "Oh great! I'll make your plate for here then."
I say, "But I'm by myself... is that okay?" (anxiety over eating alone in a restaurant on a Friday night)
She says, "Sure! Enjoy yourself!"
Man from behind the counter says, "I go to the movies by myself all the time!"

Thank you waiter for calming my fears of eating alone. I actually enjoyed it! I just sat and looked around. There is so much to look at and wish for! As I sipped this...




I thought about how great it was to enjoy my own thoughts and company. When dinner came, I dug right in without ever thinking to take a picture. Description will have to do: lightly breaded and seared tilapia over a bed of delicious black beans and rice, along with jalapeƱo cilantro tarter sauce and homemade corn tortillas. It was topped with lime coleslaw and fresh cilantro. I ate, and ate, and ate some more. The sweet workers checked on me three times... to make sure I enjoyed the meal and being alone. I surely did. It was just enough time to sit back and clear my head.

I highly recommend finding your own slice of heaven, and eating there alone on a Friday night!




........................

Madeley and I tried to take some photos tonight. Highly unsuccessful.




Bedtime anyone??






Madeley is in the middle of an imitation stage. If she's in the appropriate mood, she'll repeat all my actions and sounds.

I like to run my fingers through her hair when I take a clip out. Here's the precious imitation.


Thanks for reading!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Betty said...

I've never been especially happy eating alone; and, I've never been to a movie alone. Good for you that you enjoyed the dinner! As for the video of Madeley imitating your actions...I can't believe we went for so many years without videos of the little ones. She is just adorable; and, I wouldn't know how adorable she is without the videos and pictures. Thanks for sharing them!

Kendall and Jeremy said...

My slice of heaven is every Saturday morning! I love drinking my coffee outside on the front porch with the sun beaming down me :)

Boonies in the Boonies said...

My mouth is watering reading this. Two of my favorite foods are pasta with any kind of cream sauce, that one sounds divine! Let's make it! And I also totally heart fish tacos! I'm thinking up a reason to go to Blvd this week.

Dianne said...

When we come for the wedding in May, maybe we can visit the Boulevard Bread Company and enjoy some of the good food there.

It is so cute the way Madeley imitates you. This emphasizes how parents need to be good role models and you certainly are, Morgan.

Love you.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011