Thursday, February 24, 2011

Continuation of Virtues

Sometimes I feel like my life is a huge mess. I'm pulled in several different directions, and all I really want to do is crawl in bed. I actually laid on the floor for about 30 minutes tonight. Just laid there. I don't know if I needed the rest, or if I just wasn't ready to move on to the next task... clean kitchen, do laundry, fold clothes, finish grading... the list could go on.

I've been thinking about the virtues and how the apply/fit into my life. We are going to touch lightly on each one. While researching, I found an interesting point. The virtues can be divided into two groups, personal and social. Some of them apply to ways to take care of ourselves, while others apply more to how we relate to each other.

Personal:
I've found that if we attempt to incorporate these virtues into our lives, it should help to develop our character. I was, at one point in my life, obsessed with character. A few years ago, I did a Bible study with my singles group called A Life Well Lived, by Tommy Nelson. It touched my life very deeply and made me question several of my daily choices. It made me question if I had any character at all. Since then, I've always looked for, and appreciated, sincere character in the people I meet. Now back to the main point, if we would like to strengthen our character, here are some things to focus on:
(In the previous blog, Benjamin Franklin's explanations were stated. Now I'm just gonna talk. It's more fun.)

•Temperance: moderation and self-control... I have a hard time controlling my urge for coke (coca-cola to be exact). I know it isn't healthy, but I want it! Other people have stronger, more harmful urges. I am here to say, temperance may be a personal virtue, but it definitely affects the people around you. Just remember, too much of one thing cannot be healthy.

•Order: there is a time and a place for everything... I take this as saying don't take my personal life to work, and don't bring my stress from work home with me. I need to learn to keep the two separate, because I will be a more effective wife/mother/teacher if I can learn to do so.

•Resolution: attempt to make informed decisions, and when you do, stick with them... When I hear the word resolution, automatically New Years comes to mind. How funny is it that in the 1700s, Ben Franklin knew we wouldn't stick with our resolutions? He said, "Perform without fail what you resolve." Do we do that? I know I don't!

•Frugality: he used this to remind us to "waste nothing" and spend more time doing good... I wish I was more frugal. I will have to think about how to incorporate this one.

•Moderation: "avoid extremes"... This reminds me of temperance. How are they different? This is what I take from moderation: we need more of some things, and less of others. It's our job to figure out what goes where. I need more exercise and less coke. I need more clean laundry and less dirty laundry. Who doesn't?

•Industry: constantly attempt to do something productive, waste no time... Great! This one hits me in heart. I've already told you I'm a lazy procrastinator. I need to write INDUSTRY on my bathroom mirror in red lipstick!

•Cleanliness: clean your body, clothes, house, kids, car, desk... Hmmm. Okay, I'll do that.

•Tranquility: don't sweat the small stuff... Don't let unimportant events affect your mood. Someone talked to me about this yesterday. Sometimes, we just have to be reminded of the important (and unimportant) aspects of life.

Social:
The following virtues deal with how we treat other people. If we have strong social character, people will want to be involved with us.

•Silence: only participate in productive conversation, avoid the unproductive... I'm a talker. I talk too much, productive and unproductive. Now that I'm a teacher, I appreciate silence. I am attempting to teach my students this virtue, even though I may not posses it :)

•Sincerity: honesty, earnestness (love that word)... I adore sincere people. You can hear it in their voice. You can feel it in their actions. Sincerity is without a doubt a goal for me.

•Justice: treat people fairly, don't deny them what they deserve... I could definitely work on justice in the classroom. Parents with two or more children could do the same. Be fair in your decisions and actions.

•Chastity: ummm, this pretty much means don't sleep around. Save your reputation... We all know that terrible repercussions can result when this virtue isn't practiced. No other explanation necessary.

•Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates... I like Ben's description. I think that it is wonderful that he ended this virtue list with Jesus. He's the only person in history to have kept these virtues. Even Benjamin Franklin himself struggled with them. If we imitate Jesus, and remember our place in this world, we should be successful.

This blog got long, but I hope you stayed with me. I think all of the virtues at once is a lot to take in. I may take one a day, just to see if I can be successful.

............................

I let Madeley feed herself with a spoon tonight. Mistake or adventure?






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Betty said...

You keep quoting ol' Ben and pretty soon you'll be spending your days flying kites..haha. I love your honesty about yourself.

Whoa, I think letting Madeley feed herself is a riot! More corn, more peas. Too cute.

Dianne said...

I love what you wrote..good thinking on your part. I could be more frugal and silent so I need to work on those virtues!

It is great that you are letting Madeley feed herself--messy but great. She will gradually learn.

Love you.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011