Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cooking lesson continued

Chicken and Dressing Part 2:

My chicken and dressing was a success... with a lot of help from Derrick, his mom and his grandmother. When we got to Mrs. Jackie's house, GG (Derrick's grandmother) had already made a pan of cornbread and chopped some onion. She wanted to help me get a head start. I crumbled up the cornbread, and Derrick made one more pan. His cornbread was delicious. I added 5 eggs to the cornbread and crumbled half of the second batch. GG sautéed the onions in some butter and we added them to the mix. Next, I added the shredded chicken, poured the chicken broth over it all and stirred. I watched as Mrs. Jackie seasoned. She used some black pepper, a tiny bit of sage, poultry seasoning, and celery seed. The dressing was pretty salty, so we decided not to add any extra salt. Here's what it looked like before it went into the oven...


Lots of broth!

Here it is after baking on 350 for about 45 minutes...


We broiled it for the last few minutes to to brown the top. We also had some green beans and deviled eggs. GG added a little bit of ranch dressing to her deviled egg mixture, and I thought they were great!

All in all, the chicken and dressing was a success! And a great learning experience for me. I laughed because it took Derrick, GG, and myself to pull off Mrs. Jackie's recipe... she's a wonderful cook! I'm so glad she was willing to instruct us.

One of my favorite moments of the day was when Madeley won the long side of the wishbone.


She immediately put it in her mouth, and it wasn't easy to take it away! :)

Hope you've enjoyed my cooking lesson. Thanks for reading!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Great looking chicken and dressing, Morgan! I am so glad you have learned this wonderful recipe. I need to try it myself sometime. I especially love the picture of Madeley with the wishbone.

Love you.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011