Sunday, July 31, 2011

No nap

After church today, I hurried to fix lunch so we could head up to Little Rock. Derrick's mom is in the hospital again, so we wanted to be able to spend most of the day with her and Mr. Larry. They are doing some scans on Mrs. Jackie, and she's been having some trouble with pain. It has something to do with a spot on her spine. I don't know all the details. The good thing is that she seems to be doing well... even better than she was at home.

Anyhow, Derrick and I decided not to lay Madeley down for a nap because that would put us back two, probably even three, hours. Of course, she did not sleep on the way to the hospital. We knew that wouldn't happen. She was well behaved most of the day, busy yet clumsy. As she got more and more tired, she also got sillier and sillier. She threw a bit of a tantrum while we were eating, but it wasn't too bad. We stayed until about 6:30, and at the first mention of leaving, she grabbed her backpack and headed for the door.


I think she was welcoming the opportunity to be forced to be still in her car seat... if that makes sense. Somewhere around Dixon Road, she was out. Even though she normally refuses to sleep in the car seat, this was definitely an exception. It was going on seven o'clock, and she'd been up since eight. When we got home and got her out of the seat, she immediately started fussing. She screamed and cried throughout her entire bath. After her bath, I attempted to put lotion and pj's on her... let's just say she threw a fit. And by fit, I mean she was manic. Kicking and screaming. But at this point, all I could do was look at her with sadness and talk as calming and as sweet as possible. I felt so bad. Here is where my heart overtakes my mind. Normally, if she acted this way, I would not tolerate it. But tonight, I knew it was my fault. I knew she was miserably exhausted. I cannot punish or scold her for being exhausted when I chose not to give her a nap. Do you know what I mean? All she wanted was to lay down, so she did. Right after we brushed her teeth, I laid her down and her eyes immediately shut. Bless her heart!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Morgan, it was important that you could spend some time with Derrick's mother and father today. You were wise to understand why Madeley was so tired and didn't scold her for her fit.

We hope Jackie feels even better soon.

Love you.

Betty said...

We're home and I just caught up on all the posts I missed while we were gone. The picture of Madeley with her backpack is one of the cutest I've ever seen of her...what a little beauty!

Please let Ms. Jackie know we're praying for her!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011