Tuesday, April 5, 2011

One Day Without Shoes




Doesn't everyone deserve a pair of shoes? The answer is yes. If I had been born in a small country in Africa without shoes, I'd probably go crazy every day! I can't stand the feeling of dirt on my feet (or crumbs off the kitchen floor on my feet)! Maybe if I was born there, I wouldn't know any better, so I would be fine with it. I can remember playing outside when I was young and coming in with black bottom feet. And even then, it was by choice that I had dirty feet. There are children all over the world that do not have a choice.

In 2006, Blake Mycoskie saw a need in Argentina. He knew that the children there had no shoes. Wanting to meet this need, he created a company named TOMS. For every TOMS shoe that is purchased, the company gives a pair of shoes to a child in need. They have now given over one million pairs of shoes in 23 countries. Here are some reasons Mycoskie chose to give shoes...

Many children in developing countries grow up barefoot. Whether at play, doing chores or going to school, these children are at risk:

•A leading cause of disease in developing countries is soil-transmitted diseases, which can penetrate the skin through bare feet. Wearing shoes can help prevent these diseases, and the long-term physical and cognitive harm they cause.

•Wearing shoes also prevents feet from getting cuts and sores. Not only are these injuries painful, they also are dangerous when wounds become infected.

•Many times children can't attend school barefoot because shoes are a required part of their uniform. If they don't have shoes, they don't go to school. If they don't receive an education, they don't have the opportunity to realize their potential.
(www.toms.com)

Today, April 5, TOMS hosted One Day Without Shoes to raise the awareness of shoeless children across the world.


The event encouraged us to go one day without shoes... put ourselves in their shoes. Well, you know what I mean. Now my boss would have probably freaked if I had shown up today without shoes, so I wore TOMS. I did see a few shoeless individuals. I was proud of them for taking on this challenge.

I know many of you already know about and have TOMS. But just in case you don't, follow the link and take a look. There are several new and cute styles. I can promise they are super comfortable and stylish!

TOMS website




I sure am glad these little feet have shoes. They are precious little bare feet though!



.................................

Parenthood

Derrick and I have not had one hour since last week that we could sit down and enjoy the last episode of Parenthood. So we are catching up tonight and watching the new episode! Love it!

.................................

Heads up... The Pioneer Woman will be in Little Rock this weekend. I hoping I will be able to make it. She is an excellent blogger, chef, mother, teacher, photographer, gardener, farmer's wife... Someone I would definitely like to meet!!!

Thanks for reading!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011