Saturday, May 28, 2011

He Just Not That Into You

Derrick and I are watching this movie to tonight, and it is funny. Earlier, Derrick said, "Do girls really act this way?" (obsessive and needy)
I said, "Yes." And it's the truth. Girls analyze all the details of a call/encounter/date to try to figure out what the guy is thinking or why he has or hasn't called. And as people always say, the book is better than the movie. My friends and I used to sit up all night reading it aloud and laughing. We loved it.
Here's the concept of the book... Several girls write letters to Greg telling him about their situations. The girls always have excuses as to why the relationship hasn't worked out yet, or why the guy hasn't called, or why they're still just friends. Then Greg gives it to them straight. He explains that the guy just isn't into the girl. And it's the truth. In all the situations, if the guy really liked the girl, he would be calling, he would be asking her out, and the relationship would be starting. The truth is why wait around on some guy to start liking you, right? That just never makes a happy ending. I'm so glad I'm married!

I picked a few excerpts from the book to share with you. They may not be the funniest, but they're good. I would say book is probably PG-18. So here you go...

He's Just Not That Into You
By Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo

The "Maybe He Forgot to Remember Me" Excuse

Dear Greg,

Okay, Greg. Listen to this one: I was at a conference for work and met a guy from another branch of my company. We hit it off immediately. He was just about to ask for my number, I swear, when the Big Blackout of 2003 happened. In the mayhem, I didn't get to give him my number. I think the Big Blackout of 2003 is a good enough excuse to call him, don't you think? It's only common courtesy for me to check up on him, right? If I don't call, he's probably going to be all sad thinking that I'm just not that into him.

Judy

Dear Judy Blackout,

The city blacked out. He didn't. You said you work for different branches of the same company. Certainly he wouldn't have to break a sweat to scroll through the company staff roster or interoffice e-mail listing to find you. And should he not be as resourceful as you are...I imagine that he has a mother, sister, or female friend that could show him how, if he was really interested.

P.S.: Shame on you for using an eastern seaboard disaster as an excuse to call a guy up.

Have faith. You made an impression. Leave it at that. If he likes you, he'll still remember you after the tsunami, flood, or Red Sox loss. If he doesn't, he's not worth your time. Know why? You are great. (Now, don't get cocky.)

The "Maybe I Don't Want to Play Games" Excuse

Dear Greg,

This is dumb. I know you're not supposed to call guys, but I call guys all the time because I don't care! I don't want to play games. I do whatever I want! I've called guys tons of times. You're such a square, Greg. Why do you think we can't call guys and ask them out?

Nikki

Dear Nikki,

Because we don't like it. Okay, some guys might like it, but they're just lazy. And who wants to go out with Lazy Guy? It's that simple. I didn't make the rules and I might not even agree with them. Please don't be mad at me, Nikki. I'm not advocating that women go back to the Stone Age. I just think you might want to be realistic in how capable you are of changing the primordial impulses that drive all of human nature.

Or maybe you're the chosen one.

Men, for the most part, like to pursue women. We like not knowing if we can catch you. We feel rewarded when we do. Especially when the chase is a long one. We know there was a sexual revolution. (We loved it.) We know women are capable of running governments, heading multinational corporations, and raising loving children — sometimes all at the same time. That, however, doesn't make men different.

..................................

Madeley was too fun today. She constantly ran between Derrick and me, playing, talking, and laughing. These days are just a glimpse into the summer to come. I simply can't wait!!!

Thanks for reading!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design © Designs by Linds 2011